One of the most exciting parts of kitchen remodeling is choosing kitchen cabinets. They come in a wide range of styles, colors, and features tailored to accommodate the unique needs of the kitchen and its users. However, it is crucial to understand that not all kitchen cabinets are created equal. “Whether you choose stock, semi-stock, or custom cabinets, it is important to consider every element, including style, functionality, and quality of materials,” explains leading Rochester, NY kitchen remodeling expert Kitchens By Premier. That is why it is so important to know the fundamental differences between the types of kitchen cabinets.
What are the Top Kitchen Cabinet Type Options?
When choosing kitchen cabinets, it is important to identify personal design goals, budget, durability, and level of functional elements. Secondly, it is important to know that stock, semi-stock, and custom cabinets refer to the production method used to make them. It does not specifically or necessarily relate to the quality of the product. However, the production method and common retail strategies ultimately play a role in the quality and durability of the product and available product choices.
Once these elements are identified, it is much easier to determine which types of kitchen cabinets are the best choice to meet short and long-term design goals.
Here are the top choices.
Custom Kitchen Cabinets
Custom kitchen cabinets are built to the specifications of the kitchen. Most generally, customers work with kitchen design experts who plan the space layout and provide the exact measurements for the cabinets. They are built off-site on a build-to-order basis using the customer’s material and style choices. These cabinets are made by skilled woodworkers who work with the design team to execute the vision precisely.
- While more expensive up front, the durability and longevity of this type of kitchen cabinet can actually end up being the most cost-efficient choice long-term.
- The more durable, beautiful, and timeless the cabinets, the greater return on investment when selling the home.
- They are entirely customizable for the intricacies of the home structure.
- They are usually made from more durable materials, hardware, and fixtures and can withstand harsh daily use.
- They come in a nearly endless array of choices in materials and hardware.
- Custom cabinets can better use the space with high-efficiency features such as sliding shelves, pull-out corner shelves, and more.
Stock Kitchen Cabinets
Stock cabinets are pre-made and come in standard sizes and configurations. They are usually the least expensive option but are limited in style, materials, hardware, and customization. “They are typically mass-produced and shipped assembled or ready-to-assemble (RTA). Because they are shipped, the materials used typically weigh much less to accommodate retail profit margins,” explains Kitchens By Premier.
- They cost less initially.
- Stock kitchen cabinets take less time to get and install.
- They come in popular styles.
- They can help keep the cost of a kitchen remodel down.
Semi-Custom Kitchen Cabinets
As the name suggests, semi-custom kitchen cabinets combine some of the benefits of custom kitchen cabinets with some of the benefits of custom cabinets.
- They come in more options than stock cabinets.
- They are factory-built for individual layouts.
- Semi-stock cabinets have higher quality materials than stock cabinets.
- They typically provide modification in 1” increment.
- Semi-stock cabinets are popularly used in economical to mid-range kitchen remodels.
Which Kitchen Cabinet Type is Best for Rochester, NY, Kitchens?
Because there are so many considerations, such as time, purpose, and ROI, it is best to work with experts such as Kitchens By Premier to determine the type of kitchen cabinets for any home. A kitchen remodel is a huge undertaking and one that deserves the thoughtful consideration of dedicated professionals. Locally owned and operated, Kitchen by Premier has over 35 years of dedicated experience serving clients’ needs in Rochester and surrounding communities. For more information about its services, products, and showroom, the company can be reached at (585) 638-3038.
Kitchens By Premier
350 MILE CROSSING BLVD STE 2
ROCHESTER NY 14624-6207